Saturday, October 6, 2012

Magnificent Light


I love light!  Before this summer I had never really thought about it, but both color and light can touch my heart in ways that nothing else can.  I love stars, I love the way rays of sun stream through the clouds, and I love watching fire in the fireplace.  The brilliant oranges and reds that fade to golden yellows in sunsets and sunrises wow me.  When I take time to stop and notice them, the sheer beauty of these things takes my breath away.

This summer I went through the book Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge with a friend.  One of the chapters is about how God puts things in the world around us to romance us.  “God has written the Romance not only on our hearts, but all over the world around us.  What we need is for him to open our eyes, to open our ears that we might recognize his voice calling to us, see his hand wooing us in the beauty that quickens our hearts.”  It goes on to ask about what romanced your heart as a child?  The main things I was able to come up with were things in nature-falling snow, the smell of rain, streams, and lakes, but the biggest one was light.

Light calls to us and invites us in.  Every metaphor that uses light talks about the light being good and the darkness being evil.  One of the first things God created was light and he saw that it was good.  It makes sense that I love light too then.  God created light and He liked it, and then He created me in His image.  The God of the universe loves me, and He made my heart.  He knows what wows me, what I love, what takes my breath away.  And it is sooooo amazing that every time I see a sunset, or a flower bed bursting with color, or a tree covered with bright yellow leaves, its God reminding me that He loves me and cherishes me and that He wants to romance my heart.

Light and color are what speak to me, but those aren’t the only things that God uses to speak to us.  What romances YOUR heart? The smile on a child’s face?  Books that you read and movies that you see?  A song that you hear?  God knows what speaks to your heart, and he sends reminders daily that He loves you.  We just have to be able to set aside the busy-ness and the pain of life and remember to look for them.

“Every song you love, every memory you cherish, every moment that has moved you to holy tears has been given to you from the One who has been pursuing you from your first breath in order to win your heart.”

“This romancing is immensely personal.  It will be as if it has been scripted for your heart.”

1 comment:

  1. Christine, this brought tears to my eyes. :) It's sooo beautiful and sooo encouraging (it seems obvious now!) that God knows what wows our hearts and touches us the most, and He makes those things happen for us! For me, it's beautiful music or sunsets or children's joy - especially kids who looove Jesus and worship Him - like when I'm on stage as a song leader looking out at Kids WOW during the slow songs... And this does relate to Haley's post too -- ;) "Why are you striving these days? ... Why are you still searching, as if I'm not enough?" - Why should fear and go looking when God already has it all planned out beautifully for me? Ah what a great God we have!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete