Monday, July 18, 2016

Our Story

Here I am-month 19 of trying to have a baby, month 5 of being on the fertility drug Clomid.  I understand that some people try much longer than us, and I feel bad for them, but it doesn’t change our story.

My husband and I have been married for three years next month.  From the beginning, if my husband had said, “Let’s have a baby” I would have been on board.  But I didn’t ask if we could start trying because I was in school, had student loans to be paid off, and we were renting a one bedroom apartment.  In short, we weren’t ready.  But I was ready long before my husband was.  About two years ago I started asking (begging might be the more accurate term) my husband if we could start trying.  We knew a lot of people that were getting pregnant with their first child and I wanted to be part of that group too.  I looked forward to setting up a nursery, to hearing the pitter-patter of little feet running down the hallway.

Finally, in December 2014 my husband agreed that we were at a point where we could start trying to have a baby.  We knew going in that chances of getting pregnant right away weren’t great-I had just gotten off the pill and on average it takes one’s body about three months to be “normal again” and up to a year is normal, but from the first month I couldn’t help tracking my cycles, getting excited at every sign that MIGHT mean we were pregnant.  Six months came and went.  I started to track my body basal temperature (but this difficult when one works night shift three days a week.)  So after a month or two of that I started to buy ovulation test kits.  They said I ovulated every month but my cycles were long and it was difficult to predict when it was going to happen.

Yes I wanted the attention.  I was excited to tell my husband that were expecting and began looking up fun ways to do this.  I was excited to tell our families, who had no idea we were at that point.  I wanted the excitement of buying little outfits.  I wanted to hear the congratulations from friends and strangers alike.  But I also couldn’t wait for the private moments-the first time I would feel a baby kick, my husband talking to the baby and telling both of us good night.

After a year I saw a doctor.  After drawing blood levels, and my husband being tested there was nothing conclusively wrong.  I began Clomid.  My hormone levels immediately said I was ovulating (but there was nothing saying that I wasn’t before.)  Clomid said that most people are pregnant after three months of being on it.  Three months later, I still got my period.  So we continued Clomid, but I also had an HSG test to see if my fallopian tubes were open.  They were.  So, the Clomid continued.

This past month of being on Clomid, my cycle was long-it has been regular each of the other months while I’ve been on Clomid.  As the days passed I was more and more convinced that I was pregnant.  And then yesterday I got my period.  It felt like I had lost a baby.  It feels a little bit like that every month.  Every time I get a period, I lose the hope that was a baby.  Because I automatically know the due date when I get my period.  After this going on for over a year, I automatically know which holiday is coming up in about 8-12 weeks that would be a good opportunity to tell family.  Like many woman, I have names picked out.  Every month I lose all of it.  I’ve lost all of it for 19 months now and I don’t know how to keep going.

I don’t want to keep trying but even if I stop taking clomid, I will still wonder and hope and cry every month.  Even if we’re not trying, I will still be trying.  I hear to “relax and stop trying” all the time, but how does one do that?  How can one go through this loss and grief month after month?  I’m tired; just exhausted by all of it.


And that our story.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine. This is Amanda. I feel I am on the same current with you, but in a different boat. I have those same feelings about getting married. I come from a big family, 26 cousins. Year after year a cousin of mine is either getting married or pregnant again. (I don't go on Facebook anymore because it is too depressing for me to see all the new marriage and baby pictures) I even feel the sadness when good friends get married. It seems like everyone I work with is married and all they talk about has something to do with marriage. People say, don't think about wanting to be married so much. Well you know how that goes.... When someone says don't think about something, the first thing that pops in your head is what they said NOT to think about. Anyway,I guess what I am trying to say is that I TRUELY do understand your story, even though I am a step behind you. Meaning, at least you are married.
    In my case, it is hard being lonely. I know that God is always with me, and I have friends and family that love me, but you know what I mean. (Sorry if I am not very fluent with my thoughts. I am just pouring out my heart to you)
    Getting married or having a child is like a graduation. It means you have a new chapter to start. And starting a new chapter at 28 years old, especially the marriage chapter, means that there is less time to have children. In other words, as many women say, my biological clock is ticking and I'm not even married yet.
    Anyway, sorry to ramble, just trying to relate to you with parts of my story.
    Thank you for sharing your heart. It is hard to share and be so transparent as you have done. Takes courage. I'm glad God directed me to FB today though. You have been on my mind often. I will keep praying for you.
    With Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete